IT IS WITH PLEASURE WE AT MY BOOK ADDICTON AND MORE WELCOME, JAY RANKIN TODAY…..
WELCOME, JAY RANKIN…..
Top 5 Most Important Moments in My Life by Jay Rankin
- I’m sure one of the most significant times in my life was my father leaving the family. He left when I was four years old. He had actually decided to live in Las Vegas. Of course, this had a pretty big effect on me for many years. I had some behavioral problems as well as some bouts with anger, anxiety, and depression. As I grew older, I had thought I finally put it all to rest until I had my own child. The effects of my father’s abandonment came back at me like a tidal wave. Holding my little boy seemed to open my own personal wounds. When I look into my child’s eyes I still can’t believe how my dad could have left. My pendulum has swung the other way making sure my son will never feel what I felt.
- Receiving my master’s degree in psychology was a monumental moment in my life. I had lacked self confidence in myself and never thought I was capable of doing the work and retaining the information in order to get this degree. I took it one day at a time. Each day I came home from work, closed the shades, made dinner and then studied. It was very difficult for someone like me to focus so intently. My social life was gone, and for two years I lived a life of solitude. It took me three tries to finally pass my final exams. I’m still very proud of myself.
- My first love and the breakup that followed had a big effect on me. I always had a difficult time showing my love to someone. I guess the fear of them leaving like my father had, haunted me. It wasn’t that I didn’t love, I was afraid to take the risk of letting myself express the love to someone. When my first big love left, I was devastated. I could barely function for almost a year. I lost almost forty pounds and a day didn’t go by when I wasn’t crying. When I did begin to heal, I was a different person. I felt differently about myself and the world around me. I knew I had to be a more complete person if I was to live a more fulfilling life.
- Being selected as a doorman at the MGM was a big moment for me considering the competition. There were well over 1,500 applications for a job opening that needed 7 people. I had absolutely no hotel experience and was given the 7 pm to 3 am shift. The job was like trying to organize and manage a zoo with no cages or fences. I soon realized what it’s like working the other side of the fence in a town without boundaries. This experience also gave me the inspiration and experiences to write a book.
- I have saved the last as the #1 most important moment in my life. My son was born. I had no purpose until he arrived. I had never fully loved anyone in my whole life until he looked at me. My emotions, thinking, and philosophy about life has changed because of him.
Find and follow Jay Rankin:
Buy the book at:
Jay Rankin Book Reading of Under The Neon Sky http://youtu.be/c8ih9V1ZO4M
MBA: Do you have any other projects in the works?
RAY: I’m always writing or teaching a new writer how to get through one writing or marketing process or
another. There’s also a pilot I co-wrote based on my story that’s circulating around Hollywood. I began as a doorman with a story to tell. Since then I have written a number of articles about Las Vegas. It seems the book cast me as an expert on Las Vegas. I had even been selected to participate on a panel of ex-mobsters who were around Vegas during the mob days. I have been working on several projects including how to survive a Vegas weekend based on some of the sights I’ve seen and what a weekend in Vegas can do to a human.
Under The Neon Sky: A Las Vegas Doorman’s Story by Jay Rankin – NURTURE Book Tour Schedule:
- November 1st – Jaidis S. @ Juniper Grove
- November 2nd – Krystal L. @ Live To Read
- November 3rd – Beverly G. @ Everyone Loves A SiNner
- November 4th – Lisa Ma. @ A Casual Reader’s Blog
- November 7th – Stephanie Ba. @ Mother Of Insanity: Are we crazy yet?
- November 8th – Bobbie @ NURTURE Virtual BOOK Tourz™ Blog
- November 9th – Tina A. @ Read More
- November 11th – Bonnie S.B. @ Hands and Home
- November 14th – April R. & Wendy @ My Book Addiction and More
- November 15th – Jaidis S. @ Juniper Grove
- November 16th – Mason C. @ Thoughts in Progress
- November 17th – Kristin D. @ Kritters Ramblings
- November 18th – Lynda M. @ Hubpages
- November 22nd – Evangeline H. @ Sugarpeach
- November 23rd – Lea. R. @ Journey Reader
- November 25th – Farrah K. @ The Book Faery Reviews
- November 29th – Bobbie @ NURTURE Virtual BOOK Tourz™ Blog
- November 30th – Lindsay H @ Everyday Is An Adventure
Under the Neon Sky: A Las Vegas Doorman’s Story by Jay Rankin
- National Best Books 2010 Award Finalist – Memoir category, Indie Excellence Book Award Finalist in the Memoir category and 2011 International Book Award Finalist-Autobiography/Memoir
Synopsis: Under The Neon Sky is a gripping, true story about a Las Vegas doorman who works the graveyard shift at one of the major hotels on the Strip. The sights, smells, and page popping characters are unforgettable as we take a journey that will transform how we used to envision the city that never sleeps. We watch as this doorman begins to emotionally break and wonder if he will become broken seeing his friends, his wife, hotel guests, and himself cross too many boundaries in this riveting, page turning story.
Under The Neon Sky: A Las Vegas Doorman’s Story
Author: Jay Rankin
Genre: Non-Fiction – Autobiography/Memoir
Published by: Jay Rankin (October 10, 2009)
Age Recommendation: 15+ For Mild Sexual Content & Mature Language
Format: Hardcover, Perfect Paperback & eBook
Number of pages: 268
Thanks to Nurture Virtual Tours and the author we are offering 1 lucky commenter a print copy of “UNDER THE NEON SKY” by Ray Rankin. Open to US,UK and Canada residents only. No P.O. Boxes,please. Giveaway to run from today November 14 until November 21, 2011.
***Please leave your email address with your comment. We WILL NOT share your information,we only used information in order to notify the winner(s). ***
GOOD LUCK EVERYONE!!
**Review will be at My Book Addiction Reviews in a few days**